The W7013E PathWave IC-CAP GaN Model Extraction Package Plus software includes measurement and extraction procedures for Angelov-GaN and the recently GaN models standardized by the Compact Modeling Council (CMC).
The W7013E PathWave IC-CAP GaN Model Extraction Package Plus includes:
- Angelov-GaN model for GaN HEMT devices for RF applications
- Advanced Spice Model for High Electron Mobility Transistors or ASM-HEMT Model
- MIT Virtual Source GaN Model or MVSG_CMC Model
- Comprehensive examples and step-by-step extraction guides
The W7013E PathWave IC-CAP GaN Model Extraction Package Plus offers extraction examples for the following GaN models.
CMC GaN Models
The industry-standard ASM-HEMT and MVSG_CMC models cover high-frequency (RF) and high-voltage (power electronics) applications. They are physics-based models, lending insight to GaN process developers. For example, process engineers may learn the benefits of increased mobility or reduced contact resistance on overall power amplifier efficiency. Thus, they connect circuit and system performance and foundry process improvements via physics-based device modeling parameters.
The RF GaN toolkit introduced in PathWave Device Modeling (IC-CAP) 2020 serves as an excellent starting point for the extraction of ASM-HEMT and MVSG model parameters with an easy-to-use user interface. In a single platform, one can initiate measurements, bring the data into the IC-CAP platform, extract model parameters, export the resultant model card to PathWave Advanced Design Systems (ADS) or any other simulator that can run these models. Two example flows are presented: one for the MVSG and one for the ASM-HEMT.
The Angelov-GaN Extraction Package offers a complete modeling solution for Gallium Nitride (GaN) devices. Modeling these devices is challenging due to trapping and thermal effects on the device's electrical characteristics. GaAs models are generally not accurate enough for this type of device. The Angelov-GaN model, developed by Prof. I. Angelov at the Chalmers University of Technology, has quickly established itself as one of the industry's standard solutions.
The package was developed in conjunction with industry partners and validated on actual GaN processes. It provides a dedicated software environment that enables users to perform the necessary measurements and extract the Angelov-GaN model. The package supports typical DC and network analyzers for making DC and S-parameter measurements and de-embedding. A convenient user interface enables users to execute a step-by-step extraction flow to extract the model parameters. A turn-key flow provided in the package allows complete customization. PathWave ADS simulates using the publicly available Verilog-A version of the Angelov-GaN model.
- Complete measurement module — The package acquires DC and S-parameter measured data used to extract the model and manages open/short de-embedding. Measurements can be performed using the Keysight B1505A High Power/High Voltage Analyzers and the Keysight PNA vector analyzer.
- Turn-key extraction flow — A step-by-step extraction flow obtains an initial parameter set. This flow derives from Keysight's experience working side-by-side with industry partners to model these types of devices.
- Fully flexible — The extraction flow is fully customizable. Users can create and organize new extraction steps to adapt the extraction to a specific technology. The model implementation uses open Verilog-A code, and users can enhance its formulation.
- Easy to use — A dedicated user interface guides users through settings, measurements, and the extraction procedure. Custom multi-plot data display enables users to compare measured versus simulated data in a convenient multi-plot window.