Keysight Showcased Industry First Demonstrations at O-RAN Global PlugFest
- Keysight Open RAN Architect enabled industry leading proofs of concept in areas such as O-RAN E-Plane Energy Savings, Massive MIMO Beamforming, RIC AI/ML assisted closed loop optimization, and O-RAN Security
- Participation empowers the ecosystem to accelerate O-RAN technology development
- Keysight O-RAN Test Solution portfolio supported 14 vendors, 8 mobile operators, and three OTICs across five PlugFest venues and eight labs located in six countries
SANTA ROSA, Calif. December 16, 2022
Keysight Technologies, Inc. (NYSE: KEYS), a leading technology company that delivers advanced design and validation solutions to help accelerate innovation to connect and secure the world, collaborated with leading vendors and mobile operators to present industry-first demonstrations at the fifth global PlugFest event organized by the O-RAN ALLIANCE.
Using the Keysight Open RAN Architect (KORA) solution, which is accelerating the development of Open RAN (O-RAN) technologies, Keysight and its partners showcased industry leading innovations, including:
- Characterization and validation of O-RAN Energy Plane (E-Plane) Energy Savings (ES) techniques using processor power management technologies (P-States, C-States and uncore frequency Scaling) in 3rd Gen Intel Xeon Scalable Processors for dynamic closed loop optimization of energy consumption. A multi-vendor cloud-native O-RAN system was tested using a field-to-lab digital twin framework emulating mobile networks traffic scenarios.
- Automated O-RAN E-Plane Energy Consumption (EC) measurements based on ETSI specification of a Massive MIMO O-RAN Radio Unit (O-RU) with different load levels and models.
- Completed beamforming functional test and synchronization plane performance test of a Massive MIMO O-RU.
- Enablement of RAN Intelligent Controller (RIC) assisted artificial intelligence / machine learning (AI/ML) optimization for energy savings and admission control use cases, as well as rapid deployment of test and validation for near-real-time RIC and xApps using an orchestration framework.
- Demonstrated the most comprehensive automated security test for O-RAN multi-vendor Next Generation Node B (gNB) with 3GPP Security Assurance Specification (SCAS) test cases (gNB NSA and General), distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks and vulnerability scan including port/service scan, system vulnerability scan, and security protocol profile checking.
In addition, the KORA solution portfolio enabled 14 vendors, 8 mobile operators, and three Open Testing and Integration Centers (OTIC) to verify the integration of multi-vendor network functions and compliance to O-RAN specifications at five PlugFest venues and eight labs across Asia, Europe, and North America:
- Europe with Joint European O-RAN and TIP PlugFest hosted by Deutsche Telekom, EANTC and Vodafone at i14y Lab in Berlin, Orange Lab in Paris, TIM Innovation Lab in Torino, and BT
- Japan with Rakuten Mobile, Inc.
- South Korea with LG Uplus, SK Telecom
- United States with University of New Hampshire InterOperability Laboratory (UNH-IOL) and POWDER Platform at the University of Utah
Keysight solutions were used to verify the following conformance, interoperability, performance, security, and innovative proofs of concept:
- O-RAN E-Plane Energy Savings – Keysight's Open RAN E-Plane EE and ES test solution was used to characterize and validate energy savings techniques using processor power management technologies and Key Performance Indicators (KPI), which are used for dynamic closed loop optimization of energy consumption for a multi-vendor O-RAN system. The system included containerized O-RAN Distributed Unit (O-DU) and O-RAN Central Unit (O-CU) software, O-Cloud software and hardware including state of the art 3rd Gen Intel Xeon Scalable processors with telemetry, and power management features and accelerators. Collaborators: Intel, Radisys and Wind River.
- This test solution consisted of an O-RU emulator with embedded UEE capabilities (RuSIM), Core emulator (CoreSIM) for stateful emulation of the mobile network traffic, and test automation framework (PathWave Test Automation) to test the O-RAN system. Keysight's power analyzer (PA2203A IntegraVision) performed precise real-time measurements of power consumption throughout the tests.
- Keysight's Performance Benchmarking Solution (PBM) characterized the O-RAN system's energy consumption/savings profiles as the processor's power management technologies (P-States, C-States, and Uncore Frequency Scaling) were modulated and examined the impacts on end-user performance in relation to the application and platform KPIs.
- O-RAN E-Plane Energy Consumption - Keysight's O-RAN E-Plane EE and ES test solution was used to perform automated energy consumption measurements based on ETSI specification ES 202 706-1 for a Massive MIMO O-RU. This test solution consisted of the Keysight's O-DU emulator (Open RAN Studio), RF vector transceiver (M9410A VXT PXI Vector Transceiver), and DC supply with time-correlated power measurements (N7900 Series Advanced Power Supplies). Collaborator: NEC and Rakuten Mobile.
- O-RAN Radio Unit (O-RU) – Keysight's O-RAN O-RU test solution completed several emulations:
- Keysight's O-DU emulator (Open RAN Studio with new Open RAN and Sync Test Appliance) and new mMIMO Multi Transceiver RF Test Set (MTRX) successfully validated a Massive MIMO O-RU's beamforming and synchronization plane implementation based on O-RAN specifications across the RF and protocol measurement domains. Collaborator: Fujitsu.
- Keysight's O-DU emulator (Open RAN Studio), RF vector transceiver (M9410A VXT PXI Vector Transceiver), MXA/MXG (N9020B MXA Signal Analyzer/N5182B MXG X-Series RF Vector Signal Generator), and test automation framework (PathWave Test Automation) have successfully validated Massive MIMO (32T32R) and 2T2R/4T4R/8T8R O-RUs fronthaul control, user, and management plane implementations to O-RAN specifications across the RF and protocol measurement domains. Collaborators: Azcom, Ciena, ETRI, Fujitsu, HFR, Mavenir, Microamp Solutions, NEC, SIAE MICROELETTRONICA, SOLiD, and Viettel High Tech (VHT).
- O-RAN Distributed Unit (O-DU) – Keysight's RAN test solution consisted of an O-RU emulator with embedded UEE capabilities (RuSIM) that verified the fronthaul M-plane conformance and compliance to O-RAN specifications. Collaborators: ETRI and HFR.
- O-RAN End-to-End (E2E) – Keysight's RAN test solution consisting of UEE capabilities (UeSIM), test user equipment (Nemo Outdoor), CoreSIM, and PBM were used to assess small and macro cells end-to-end performance, security, and latency under load and stress test conditions. Collaborators: Ciena, HFR, NEC, Rakuten Mobile and Viettel High Tech (VHT).
- O-RAN Near and Non-Real-Time RICs, xApps and rApps - Keysight's RIC and xApps/rApps test solution (RICtest) was used for three scenarios:
- An energy savings use case for large scale O-RAN network was simulated with the Juniper Networks Energy Savings rApp, leveraging the O-RAN compliant O1 interface for the collection of standards-compliant performance metrics and reconfiguration of Keysight RICtest emulated E2 nodes. Collaborator: Juniper Networks.
- A 4G eNB Admission Control rApp and xApp was tested with Keysight's RIC test solution, providing O-RAN network simulation of 60 eNBs across several tracking areas and device emulation of hundreds of onboarding subscribers with Juniper Networks' Non-RT RIC and Admission Control rApp providing overall governance across multiple Near-RT RICs. Collaborator: Juniper Networks.
- A powerful cloud-native platform for O-RAN test automation enabled vendors to automatically test and validate O-RAN Software Community (OSC) near real-time RIC and xApps on-demand, across a customizable parameter space with Keysight's RICtest O-RAN Near-real time RIC test software integrated with the University of Utah's POWDER "lab-as-a-service" Testing Orchestration and Testing Automation framework. Keysight's RICtest was deployed with latest OSC Near Real-Time RIC and SMO. Collaborators: OSC and POWDER Platform at the University of Utah.
- O-RAN Security – Keysight's O-RAN Security test solution consisting of UEE (UeSIM), CoreSIM, DDoS attacker (IxNetwork), and O-RAN component security audit (IoT Security Assessment) were used to perform automated testing of security test cases specified by the O-RAN Security Working Group 11 (WG11) and 3GPP SCAS (TS 33.117, TS 33.511) for general security requirements. Collaborators: NEC and Rakuten Mobile.
Cao Peng, Vice President and General Manager for Keysight's Wireless Test Group, said: "Keysight is pleased to expand our collaboration with the Open RAN ecosystem at the 5th O-RAN Global PlugFest, which focused on industry leading innovations and advancing technology development and specifications maturity. We continue to see significant progress made at this PlugFest with the increased number of solutions validated in compliance with O-RAN specifications supporting open interfaces and RIC AI/ML enabled optimization. Energy Plane is the new plane for RAN interoperability, optimization, and differentiation as energy efficiency is a key sustainability goal for companies around the world. Several pre-standards E-Plane optimization techniques were tested and evaluated using new testing methodologies."
About Keysight Technologies
Keysight delivers advanced design and validation solutions that help accelerate innovation to connect and secure the world. Keysight's dedication to speed and precision extends to software-driven insights and analytics that bring tomorrow's technology products to market faster across the development lifecycle, in design simulation, prototype validation, automated software testing, manufacturing analysis, and network performance optimization and visibility in enterprise, service provider and cloud environments. Our customers span the worldwide communications and industrial ecosystems, aerospace and defense, automotive, energy, semiconductor and general electronics markets. Keysight generated revenues of $4.9B in fiscal year 2021. For more information about Keysight Technologies (NYSE: KEYS), visit us at www.keysight.com.
# # #
Additional information about Keysight Technologies is available in the newsroom at https://www.keysight.com/go/news and on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and YouTube.
Geri Lynne LaCombe, Americas/Europe
+1 303 662–4748
Fusako Dohi, Asia
+81 42 660–2162
Fall PlugFest 2022 Collaborators Quotes
"Based on close cooperation with Keysight Technologies, we were able to derive a number of meaningful results from this PlugFest. We believe that this will be an important asset to expand the O-RAN ecosystem and lead technological development in the future."
YU TAKKI, Vice President, Head of Infra Tech, SK Telecom
"Working with Keysight as a test and measurement partner for SKT’s O-RAN PlugFest2022 Fall, enables us to have their experiences at the initial preparation stage, and it helped with scheduling. In addition, the O-RU tests were performed based on automated scripts enabling fast confirmed results, so the O-RU vendor was able to secure time for debugging and ETRI was able to strengthen technical support for the vendor."
Kidong Nam, ICT Testing Research Center Director, ETRI
"We are grateful to collaborate with Keysight for O-RAN PlugFest 2022Fall. O-RAN test platforms by Keysight have enabled various O-RAN validations, which include O-RAN ALLIANCE compliant conformance testing, end-to-end testing, and evaluation of RIC use cases as well. We look forward to further collaboration with Keysight to expand the Open RAN ecosystem."
Sangheon Lee, Head of advanced NW Technology research unit at LG Uplus
"This was Azcom's first participation in the Global PlugFest event and we are very pleased with the results. Keysight's O-RAN test solutions have enabled us to greatly accelerate the development of Azcom 5G-RU. We look forward to continuing to collaborate with ORAN ALLIANCE members also during the upcoming PlugFests."
Davide Denti, 5G RU Product ManagerAzcom
"The UNH-IOL was happy to host the 2022 Fall O-RAN PlugFest, along with our other lab partners around the country. The PlugFest saw the O-RAN community’s continued commitment to developing an open and interoperable RAN, with 17 companies participating from around the world in development and testing. The event focused on conformance, performance, and interoperability, pairing equipment and solutions from multiple vendors in each use case. Looking to the future, we expect to see the scope of PlugFest events growing to include more advanced testing scenarios and further end-to-end interoperability testing. We look forward to what the 2023 Spring PlugFest will bring."
Lincoln Lavoie, Principal Engineer, University of New Hampshire InterOperability Laboratory (UNH-IOL)
"We are glad to continue the collaboration with our partners, supported by Vodafone in this all-important use case for operators. We were able to demonstrate the benefits of closed loop control for further energy savings using our containerized DU and CU software along with our partner solutions."
Ganesh Shenbagaraman, Head of Standards, Regulatory Affairs and Ecosystems, Radisys
"We are pleased that our continued collaboration with Keysight demonstrated the addition of O-RAN Software Community RIC and SMO capabilities to the POWDER LaaS environment and illustrated the utility of the POWDER Testing Orchestration and Testing Automation framework. We look forward to building on this success."
Kobus Van der Merwe, Professor and Director of the POWDER Platform at the University of Utah
"This year’s edition of O-RAN PlugFest 2022 was very important to the entire mmWave industry since Microamp, Keysight, and TIM made a huge step forward in 5G mmWave technology by successfully testing the world’s first 5G mmWave O-RAN Radio Units that were developed by Microamp. The O-RAN interoperability capabilities tests have brought us great results and we are looking forward to strengthening our relationship with Keysight in the nearest future."
Marcin Góralczyk, Chief Technology Officer, Microamp Solutions
"HFR my5GTM provides an optimized 5G network solution to fulfill customer`s digitalization. In order to achieve 5G network interoperability, performance, and O-RAN conformity, a crucial Keysight O-RAN test solution was used to make the O-RAN ALLIANCE PlugFest Fall 2022 a success. During this PlugFest, HFR completed a certification test for an O-RU and an O-CU/O-DU using the Keysight O-RU/O-DU/End-to-End(E2E) test solution."
Jaiseo Park, Director of R&D Mobile Access Group at HFR Inc.
"Juniper Networks continues our collaboration with Keysight in new venues to demonstrate our Admissions Control and Energy Savings solutions, and these continue to be RIC use cases of interest for operators today. Smart management of resources delivers better outcomes for customers and the bottom line. Juniper Networks’ RAN Intelligent Controller and suite of applications were validated and demonstrated with Keysight’s RICtest solution in the 2022 Fall PlugFest."
Constantine Polychronopoulos, Group Vice President, Technology, Juniper Networks
"Mavenir is pleased to have validated the OpenBeam O-RAN based mMIMO 32TRX AAU with the Keysight Technologies O-DU at the Joint European O-RAN and TIP PlugFest. It’s through such collaborations that we ensure interoperability and drive the availability and adoption of open, disaggregated and standards-based solutions."
Bejoy Pankajakshan, EVP, Chief Technology and Strategy Officer, Mavenir
"The milestones achieved during the Fall 2022 PlugFest prove that O-RAN interoperability, driven by standards and specifications, is a reality. We look forward to continued collaboration with Keysight and the entire O-RAN ALLIANCE to ensure the openness and high performance of 5G networks."
Dr. Femi Adeyemi, Head of the Wireless Business, Fujitsu
"Sustainability is an increasingly important objective with Open RAN. We are proud to work with Keysight and the O-RAN ecosystem to demonstrate how the software infrastructure we provide with Wind River Studio can help service providers achieve the objective of reducing energy consumption for a greener network by controlling and monitoring the C-State and P-State of CPU cores."
Gil Hellmann, Vice President, Solutions Engineering, Wind River
Need to contact Media Relations at Keysight?